UPDATE: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MARCH 31st
FIND YOUR MUSE AT THE ANOMALY ARCHIVES…
The Anomaly Archives is a Proud Sponsor of the Austin Archives Bazaar and hopes local Austin artists will take advantage of the Bazaar’s new ARCHIVES-IN-ART CONTEST!
AND, we hope our Austin arts community will consider using the Anomaly Archives collections for its inspiration. We’ve got thousands of weird rare paranormal books, magazines, posters, cultural ephemera and more, covering a wealth of topics that might inspire your next art piece. So contact us about visiting the Anomaly Archives to find your muse! Our weekly hours are Thursdays and Saturdays from 2-6pm. Contact us via phone (512) 842-9046 or EMAIL.
The Austin Archives Bazaar is excited to announce its inaugural exhibition: Archives in Art, a juried art show that encourages Central Texas artists to use or be inspired by archival materials in creating their work. There are no submission fees, and accepted works will be exhibited at the Austin Archives Bazaar on April 19, 2020 and afterwards at Austin Central Library’s 4th Floor from April 27 – June 30. Central Library will be a stop on the WEST Austin Studio Tour in May! There will be cash awards for the jury’s choice and people’s choice winners.
Artists are encouraged to visit a local archival repository in person OR online and select an archival collection or item to interpret as a 2D visual creative work. The artist’s work can pay homage to historical events or figures, fuel discussion, or examine current events through a historical lens. Topics to consider include (but are not limited to): climate change, cultural celebrations, faith, family history, gentrification, human rights, identity, immigration, and incarceration.
Artists may transform and reconfigure copies of archival material, while being mindful of Fair Use Copyright Law. Sources used MUST be cited. See copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html for more information.”
Visit the Austin Archives Bazaar‘s “Archives in Art” webpage for more information about the Cash Awards, Jurors, Entry Deadlines, Entry Form, and MORE!
Check out this other important information from their webpage:
ABOUT AUSTIN ARCHIVES BAZAAR
Austin Archives Bazaar is a FREE biennial event organized by the Archivists of Central Texas since 2014. Austin Archives Bazaar 2020 will take place at Trinity Hall, 311 E. 5th Street, on April 19, 2020. Visitors will have the opportunity to chat with over 20 local archival repositories who table at the event, hear speakers share stories about their discoveries with archives, learn best preservation practices, win door prizes, and more!
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE VISITING AN ARCHIVAL REPOSITORY
- For most repositories, a list of their policies and procedures will be available online in some form. Spend time looking over the archives’ website before your visit. Look for a “Plan Your Visit” link which will prepare you for what to expect, including registration steps and what items are prohibited from the reading room. Many archives have locker systems available to store items, but it’s not a bad idea to travel light.
- Be mindful of photography restrictions. Many archives allow the use of cameras, laptops and other personal digital devices, but restrictions may exist.
- Handle all materials carefully and keep the materials in order.
- Be prepared to pay for photocopies.
- Once you find materials to work with, talk to an archivist about how you will be using the item(s) so they can clarify any restrictions on use or copyright violations.