Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 7/8/2016
July 8th, 2016 – Austin, Texas
We’ve been home on a “staycation” this week and hope you’ve been having as much productive fun as we have.
For this issue’s Book-of-the-Week we feature the massive two-volume set published in 1836 (our copies from the Girard Collection are of the 1965 reprints) about uncovering “a most ancient and universal religion from which all later creeds and doctrines sprang.” Follow our Anomaly Archive eNewsletter links and you’ll find online copies of the book you can read in plain-text, PDF, or Synthetic Text to Speech audio book formats.
We’re still trying to increase our membership so please consider joining theAnomaly Archives as a Dues-Paying Member. Even if you can’t access our local collections you can support our mission and goals:
- Preservation and dissemination of scientific research into anomalous phenomena.
- Research and analysis of accumulated collections.
- Education of the public regarding scientific investigations into these phenomena.
- Managing and developing an archive and library for documents and literature with regards to a multi-disciplinary approach to anomalous phenomena.
- Supporting, promoting and pursuing research to obtain increased knowledge about anomalous phenomena.
- Pursuing and stimulating a critical, scientific discussion of anomalous phenomena, and providing a forum for information, support, and sharing among researchers.
- Functioning as the archives and library for like-minded organizations, and other groups in the community that have similar interests.
SMiles Lewis / Founder
An attempt to draw aside the veil of the Saitic Isis
Or an inquiry into the origin of languages, nations, and religions
Volumes One & Two – 1836
By Godfrey Higgins
“The work is the product of more than twenty years of research, during which Higgins tried to uncover “a most ancient and universal religion from which all later creeds and doctrines sprang”. It includes several maps and lithographic plates of Druidical Monuments. The book itself details many of Higgins’ beliefs and observations about the development of religion. Among these was his theory that a secret religious order, which he labeled “Pandeism” (from Pans- or Pandu- referring to a family of Gods, appending with -ism), had continued from ancient times to the present day, stretching at least from Greece to India, and possibly having once covered the entire world:
- “All this seems to confirm the very close connexion which there must have been in some former time, between Siam, Afghanistan, Western Syria, and Ireland. Indeed I cannot doubt that there has been really one grand empire, or one Universal, one Pandæan, or one Catholic religion, with one language, which has extended over the whole of the world; uniting or governing at the same time…”
Among the many unusual theories presented in this book is that both the Celtic Druids and the Jews originated in India – and that the name of the Biblical Abraham is really a variation of the word Brahma, created by shifting the last letter to the beginning: Abrahma. Higgins used the term “Pandeism” to describe the religious society that he purported had existed from ancient times, and at one time had been known throughout the entire world. Higgins believed this practice continued in secret until the time of his writing, in the 1830s in an area stretching from Greece to India.”
- Full text of Anacalypsis An Attempt To Draw Aside The Veil Of The … – Archive.org
- Anacalypsis: Vol I & Vol II [PDFs] – TheDarkSideOfHistory
- Anacalypsis by Godfrey Higgins – Preview book on Google Books
Anacalypsis – An Attempt to Draw Aside the Veil of the Saitic Isis (Text To Speech Audio Book)
Here are some headlines of note for this week:UFOs
- Why are people starting to believe in UFOs again? Joseph P. Laycock, Assistant Professor of Religious Studies, Texas State University via TheConversation.com
- Do you believe? Canadian project records increase in UFO sightings – TheGlobeAndMail.com
- Ben Rich misquoted by many in the UFO community – Norio Hayakawa
- Mothman, the King of Weird in West Virginia – Sherri Brake , Graffiti, GrafWV.com
- Mothman At 50: What Do We Know? Nick Redfern, Mysterious Universe
- FLASHBACK 2013: Man says 1973 UFO incident turned life upside down – NYDailyNews.com / Associated Press
Library & Archives
- The World’s Oldest Library Has Reopened After years of renovations – Eric Grundhauser, AtlasObscura.com
Meta Talk on Anomalistics, Cryptozoology, Forteana Research & Public Education
- Unco Junto: Should Skeptics Be Paid for TV Work? by Ben Radford, CenterForInquiry.net (Featuring Loren Coleman)
- FLASHBACK: Anomalous Outreach: Cryptozoology presentation at Royse City ISD Elementary by the Texas Bigfoot Research Conservancy – Weird Texas
Mind / Paranormal / Parapsychology / Sixth Sense (Human or Otherwise) / Esoterica / Occulture
- USA’s Psychic Spy Program with Edwin C. May (Video) – New Thinking Allowed
- Declassified Paranormal FBI Files – TheBlackVault
- Wonder what your plants are ‘saying’? Device lets you listen in – New Scientist
- Recent Articles About the Histories of Spiritualism and Psychical Research: 3 – Carlos Alvarado
- Could it be magick? The occult returns to the art world: Genesis Breyer P-Orridge… and Tony Oursler – Andy Battaglia, TheGuardian.com
- Consciousness: The Mind Messing With the Mind – George Johnson, NYTimes.com
- Is this real life ‘Inception’? Scientists use unnerving trick to plant false experiences into people’s brains – DailyMail.co.uk
- FLASHBACK: William Burroughs’ Naropa lectures on parapsychology research including Handbook of Psi Discoveries, Psychic Discoveries Behind The Iron Curtain, and Breakthrough by Konstantīns Raudive
Deep State / Parapolitics
- The world’s most elite conference this year will discuss something called “the precariat” – Jason Karaian, QZ.com
- Bilderberg Seen Through the Looking Glass – Pepe Escobar, Strategic-Culture.org
- The Billionaire Pedophile Who Could Bring Down Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton – Brandy Zadrozny, TheDailyBeast.com
- North Georgia newspaper publisher jailed over open records request – Rhonda Cook, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- Rick Bauer Talks Dave Ferrie And The Murder Of JFK – TheSleuthJournal.com
- The fiery crash of TWA 800 in 1996…..questions still linger – Norio Hayakawa cites book review by Maureen Callahan, New York Post
- Ubiquitus Media & Panopticon Surveillance State Society
- The exec producers of Person Of Interest suspect Facebook will destroy the world – Jen Levy, AVclub
- Facebook-Dependent Content Farms Will Finally Die – Carles Buzz, Vice.com
Misc Weirdness? Eco-Crisis? Industrial / Oil Contamination Fallout?
- Flesh-eating bacteria scare along Gulf Coast has locals on alert – TheGuardian.com
and does not indicate endorsement.]
Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 7/8/2016