Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 3/1/2016
The Anomaly Archives Weekly Email Newsletter
March 1st, 2016 – This week we’ve got a great bunch of News Links for you plus the usual Book-of-the-Week, and we introduce you to our online Directory of Anomalous Library Collections while also providing links to individual Digitally Archived Editions of some cool books and magazines from the classic flying saucer age. We’ve also got information about some interesting Upcoming Events from San Antonio to Michigan.
We hope you enjoy this latest edition of the weekly email newsletter.
And please – consider supporting us by becoming a sustaining member: follow the links below to sign-up for the annually self-renewing membership via PayPal.
See you next week!
Would you like to check-out books from the Anomaly Archives lending library? Do you want to help preserve the history of UFO (and related anomalous) research?
We need your help to make the Anomaly Archives the Best Anomalies Research Resource in North America. Our goal is to become as significant a repository of anomalistic research materials as the AFU (Archives For the Unexplained – formerly the Archives For UFO Research) in Sweden.
Your membership will help support these efforts!
The best way to show your support is to become a member and to sign-up for the auto-renewing annual membership subscription through PayPal.
WE NEED YOUR HELP!
Membership is only $20 Annually
Thanks for your support!
Book of the Week:
Time-Life’s Mysteries of the Unknown (series)
“The Mysteries of the Unknown phenomenon began in 1987 when Time-Life Books began to test the waters for a series of books on the paranormal. Time-Life Books, a conglomeration of the two titular magazines, sold books via monthly subscriptions. Their series and titles usually focused on broad historical or utilitarian subjects like The Old West or Home Repair and Improvement, and were mainly sold directly to the consumer via television ads that blanketed the cable and broadcast airwaves. They were the kinds of books one’s dad or grandparents might buy.
Even within Time-Life, the series was nicknamed, “books as furniture,” says Tom Corry, former Product Manager for Time-Life Books, who helped develop the paranormal series and the ad campaign that saw it take off. According to Corry, who is now CEO of his own company, Healthcare Data Insights & Analytics, the roots of the Mysteries series are actually pretty mundane. “We already had a book series called the Enchanted World, and it was elves and fairies,” he says. “It was a pretty popular series.” Having found an audience for these books, Time-Life decided to see what other left-field topics readers might be interested in.”
Source: The 1980s Book Series That Literally Claimed It Had To Be Read To Be Believed – Atlas Obscura
- Read This: The murky origins of Time Life’s Mysteries … – AVclub.com
- Mysteries of the Unknown – Wikipedia
- Zombies, UFOs & Sea Monsters: ‘Mysteries of the Unknown … – LiveScience.com
- Time-Life Books “Mysteries of the Unknown” – The Retroist
- How Mysteries of the Unknown came to be, finally explained … – Meta Filter
- Julianne Moore Was Once In A Time-Life Books Commercial In The Late ’80s… – BuzzFeed
Watch actress Julianne Moore talk about an Out-of-Body-Experience in this vintage television commercial for the Time-Life series…
From the Archives…
Anomaly Collections Directory: Other Archives
Featuring UFO, Paranormal & Related Specialized Collections
An ongoing international index of UFO & Paranormal oriented repositories for books, magazines, newsclippings, and especially personal collections of historic phenomena researchers.
Thanks to Isaac Koi and others who continue to inspire this Directory / Index effort. See the 1999 Proceedings of the Sign Historical Group for an attempt to outline the content of various UFO archives in several universities and in the hands of private UFO groups/researchers. See also the Resources at Sign Historical Group.
PLUS: Links to specific archived works available online including…
ForgottenBooks.com – World’s Largest Online eBook Library
- Can You Speak Venusian: A Guide to the Independent Thinkers by Patrick Moore (1972) – Archive.org
- “Flying Saucer Scientist” by Leslie Phelps, Fantastic Adventures, August 1950 – UNZ.org
- “Flying saucers: Russia’s secret weapon? He fell among thieves” by Milton Lesser, Fantastic Adventures, March 1952 – UNZ.org (see also UFOs – the Soviet Connection – GreyFalcon.us)
- Read: The full run of If magazine, scanned at the Internet Archive – BoingBoing.net
- Every issue of OZ, London’s legendary psychedelic newspaper, is available online – DangerousMinds.net
- This library features a maze-like mountain of books… literally! RoadTrippers.com
- Flashback: John Steinbeck Turns His Hand to Tale of Space Ship, Flying Saucers – International Herald Tribune, March 19, 1955 / People, Oct. 11, 1954 – TIME
- Flashback: The Flying Saucer A Manufactured Concept by Herbert Hackett, Ohio Wesleyan University, Sociology and Social Research, May- June, 1948 – Thanks to Curt Collins
Here are some headlines of note for this week:
- Sinister Infiltration of Sci-Fi? On PKD by Nick Redfern – Mysterious Universe
- I, Philip: Inside the digital mind of Philip K. Dick – Imm3rsive.com
- The exegesis of Philip K. Dick – hacking the hero’s journey: Richard Doyle at TEDxLowerEastSide by TEDx Talks (Video)
- Origins Of The False Flag Alien Invasion – Part 1: Constructing the Narrative by m1k3y
- The investigation Begins The Ghost Rocket Investigation Portal (GRIP) launch March 5! – GhostRockets.se
- Controversy and Excitement Swirl around New Human Species – Scientific American
- Ohio Landscaper Encounters 8-Feet-Tall ‘Gorilla’ – CryptozoologyNews.com
- Significant Release Of Never-Before-Seen Australian Government UFO Policy…. And Get Excited…. Because Some Of It Is Still Classified Parts One, Two, Three, Four – by Paul Dean
- A Skeptical Look at the 25th Annual International UFO Congress – Parts One, Two, Three, Four – by Robert Sheaffer
- What Happens At The International UFO Congress? – Popular Science
- Delivering the Poison Secret: Whitley Strieber & Jeffrey Kripal’s Traumatic Package by Jasun Horsley
- Flashback: Jasun Horsley’s series on Whitley Strieber: Prisoner of Infinity and more… AutiCulture.com – A Journal of Extra-Consensual Perceptions
- 100 Wonders: Is the House on the Rock a Great Hoax or Great Art? House on the Rock (Video) – AtlasObscura.com
- After a UFO crashed in 1897, this Texas town buried the dead alien in their cemetery – RoadTrippers.com
- The Neuroscience Of Trance by Gary Boas
- Researchers are a step closer to creating an untraceable ‘quantum Internet’ – ScienceAlert.com
- Experimental nonlocal and surreal Bohmian trajectories – ScienceMag.org
- Wal Thornhill: An Examination of “Gravitational Waves” (Video) – Thunderbolts.info
- Coincidences and the Meaning of Life – The Atlantic
- He May Have Unraveled The Secret Of Synchronicity. Will Science Prove Him Right? Skeptiko’s Alex Tsakiris interviews Eric Wargo
- How The CIA Kept Tabs On A Civilian UFO Research Group – Micah Hanks, Mysterious Universe
Follow-up to recent headlines…
The Spawn of Bohemian Grove by Loren Coleman
- Justice Scalia spent his last hours with members of this secretive society of elite hunters (International Order of St. Hubertus) – Washington Post
- X-Files: My Struggle, Part II, or Outfoxed Again – Christopher Knowles, Solar Satellite
- Trucidation Trump Tales & X-Files’ Tipping-Point Trumpets – Loren Coleman
- The X-Files: Babylon Working, or Isis vs ISIS – Christopher Knowles, Solar Satellite
Featured Audio / Video Podcasts –
- Military X-Files with Mack Maloney – RadioactiveBroadcasting.com
- SasWhat: A Podcast about Bigfoot – SasWhat.com
[NOTE: Inclusion of news & event info is purely informational
and does not indicate endorsement.]
See also… other spotlighted news & event links below!
2016 SWAMP-GAS UFO CONFERENCE
Saturday, March 19th
“Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Michigan’s historic UFO flap that prompted the USAF to infamously declare that what hundreds of credible witnesses were reporting at that time was nothing but swamp gas.”
Monthly Public Meetings
Monthly discussion on the latest news and research into the fields of inquiry covered within our anomalous collections including: UFOs and Ufology, Consciousness, Parapsychology, Fortean and Paranormal Phenomena, Cryptozoology, Parapolitics and Conspiracy, Human Potential … and MORE!
The Anomaly Archives holds monthly meetings (usually) on the Fourth Saturday of each month. Contact SMiles Lewis or Mark Muecke via email for updates. The meetings are FREE (Donations Welcomed!) and held from 1-3pm at the INACS / Anomaly Archives headquarters located in North West Austin. (Map)
Charles Hall claims many up close & personal contacts with extraterrestrial beings he calls “The Tall Whites” when he was stationed at an AFB in Nevada between 1965 and 1967.
Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 3/1/2016