ANOMALY ARCHIVES eNEWSLETTER
Subscribe to the by sending an email to: <AnomalyArchivesemail@example.com>
You can visit the archived back issues here on the web and also at <www.YahooGroups.com> .
– Anomaly Archives News
New Location & Operational Hours !!!
The Anomaly Archives is excited to announce that the lending library is now open most Saturdays from 1-5 pm at our new location within the INACS headquarters:
12593 Research Blvd., Suite 302
Austin, Texas 78759
Subscribe to our Twitter Feed for Operational Announcements most Saturdays from 1-5 pm.
– Collection News
Click the Books Above to Visit Our Gallery of Bookshelves
The Anomaly Archives cataloged collections are fast approaching 2000 total book titles. Donations made over the past year or two are finally being cataloged for circulation. The current total number of titles in the catalog stands at 1913. The Jung Society of Austin‘s collection is well over 1500 titles, Austin MUFON‘s collection contains over 100 titles, as do our wonderful INACS hosts.
Follow this link to a Gallery of Bookshelves newly unpacked into our homey new location.
– Anomaly Headlines
The Passing of Giants: John Keel and Richard Hall
Thanks to my friend Dr. Steven Mizrach for the following tribute…
Tribute to John Keel by Steven Mizrach
If I were to say there were two people who most influenced my thinking on the UFO subject, it would be Jacques Vallee and John Keel. So much so I even wrote both of them letters of congratulation at one point.
They were of course very different in their approaches and backgrounds (one a French rationalist, the other an American adventure writer), and yet I would argue seemed to be concurring on five critical points.
1. That “the phenomenon” might be “ultra-terrestrial,” i.e. not so much originating from other planets, but possibly other dimensions of existence. That in fact it wasn’t really coming from “somewhere else” so much as something parallel to “here”. Maybe around us all the time but not normally apprehensible to our senses? Keel sometimes liked to say “the phenomenon is much a part of our planet as the weather”.
2. That “the phenomenon” had historical roots deeper than 1947. The “flying saucer” era may have begun with Kenneth Arnold in 1947, but things that were called different things in earlier epochs, such as Mystery Airships, or Foo Fighters, or Ghost Rockets, or just Strange Stuff in the Sky, might have been earlier manifestations. In fact, Keel was so adamant on this that he devoted himself to debunking the “Roswell” obsession of many of his peers, insisting that the Roswell incident was a Japanese fugu bomb balloon.
3. That “the phenomenon” seemed to respond to peoples’ beliefs. Keel always cautioned people that “Belief is the Enemy”. Certainly, it’s generally a good admonition in general, given the damage dogmatism, fanaticism, and fundamentalism cause, in general. But Keel was speaking about what seemed to be its “adaptive” nature, that it molded itself to peoples’ expectations. Vallee suggested the same thing, except I think he leaned more generally to the “Magonia” school that peoples’ perceptions were molded by their culture, which is why medieval people seeing the same thing as modern people called it angels, whereas we call it spaceships.
Basically, I would say that, each essentially said, be careful in approaching the subject with too many a priori expectations, beliefs, and assumptions. Which again, if you think about it, is good general advice.
4. That one should be cautious of the UFOlogical “establishment”. Keel in response to my letter to him sent one of his pamphlets lampooning the “UFO people”. He said they had a diet too heavy in science fiction and everything was always being force-clawed into alien technology explanations. They should look more at the history of religious apparitions, mythology, faeries, and folklore and realize they weren’t dealing with something new. Vallee often said the same thing. So did Carl Jung, way back in the 50s.
5. That the phenomenon was part of something that could be considered a “control system”. Of course, I was always fascinated most of all by this subject. “Control” for what purpose? Forteans have always danced around this subject ever since Charles Fort opined in his tomes “We are property”. Vallee hinted that the control was more or less benevolent, perhaps for the betterment of our evolution. Keel was always more pessimistic. He saw manipulation. I think he was at his most ascerbic in books like Disneyland of the Gods or the Eighth Tower. Keel liked to discuss how the ancient gods seemed to manipulate human beings, pretty much treat us like cattle, serfs, puppets. He didn’t see the situation improving now that our new gods were the Ashtar Command and the Space Brothers.
I had always loved Keel’s book The Mothman Prophecies. I can’t really say why. Maybe Mothman was just a figment of peoples’ imagination, or just some undiscovered cryptid. But there was too much else WEIRD going on in Point Pleasant, a “high strangeness” for a year or so that went beyond a mere cryptid invasion. Indrid Cold, whatever/whoever he was, was no cryptid. He also didn’t seem like a man from outer space, either. Maybe he was a god, or a spirit, or a daeva, or something else, but as Keel often commented, he seemed trapped by fate, by time, in a different way from us (since he didn’t seem to live in linear time), but still. Not unlike what the Buddha once said about the Hindu gods.
When the movie Mothman Prophecies came out, I expected to be disappointed. I really did not think a Hollywood film could capture the “feel” of the book. And although I thought the film did some fascinating things with regard to poetic license (like splitting Keel into two persons, the naive John Keel played by Buddhist Richard Gere who must be “initiated” by Alexander Leek (Keel backwards) to understand it all), I actually felt in many ways it did. Particularly with regard to the nature of Indrid Cold.
“Alexander Leek” in that movie gives an explanation of how Keel saw “ultra-terrestrials” like Indrid Cold in a very chilling, captivating way. “Leek” tells “Keel” (Gere) that beings like Cold might well be able to see the future, because they aren’t exactly in the same space-time continuum as us. However, that doesn’t make them omnipotent, or omniscient, far from it. Like “Leek” explains — perhaps a window washer on the 14th floor of a building can see a car crash blocks away that we can’t. He knows things before we do, because he has a “higher” or better vantage point. (That view always made me think of the hyperspheres in the novel Flatland.) However, that doesn’t mean he can see everywhere, or everywhen. It hardly makes the window washer worthy of believing everything he says, just because his vantage point is a bit improved.
But more importantly, Keel also felt that beings like “Cold” didn’t strike him as necessarily being benevolent or honest. Keel often commented on how Swedenborg told other spiritualists to dialogue with the spirits, but not to trust everything they said, just because they were dead. Because, frankly, said Swedenborg, for whatever reasons of their own, they frequently lied. Keel seemed to hint that beings like “Cold” might use their slightly better vantage point to manipulate us and he frequently hinted about how various “contactees” were inevitably “used” by such beings.
The bottom line is, Keel’s fundamental message was one of skepticism, or zeteticism, if you prefer. That when being led down the garden path by the latest channeled alien intelligence du jour, as an American politician once said, “trust, but verify”.
I think that’s a good adage to live by, whether it’s all tosh in general, or like Keel, you suspect that “U.T.”s don’t necessarily have to have our best interests at heart.
Goodbye John Keel. I understand you died lonely and isolated, but that’s the way many prophets in their own country and Cassandras have to die. In the movie Mothman Prophecies, Laura Linney tells your alter ego Richard Gere that his wife Debra Messing may be on the other side, but “wherever she is, I bet she’s nowhere near Indrid Cold.” I hope the same is true of you.
Dr. Steven Mizrach
Adjunct Professor, Anthropology, FIU
PsiOp Radio Live from Austin, Texas with SMiles Lewis and Guest Loren Coleman
Sunday, July 12, 2009
- PsiOp Radio 81 – 090712 Farewell to Fortean John Keel w/guest Loren Coleman
- Second Hour with Guest Loren Coleman
From the 2002 FortFest, Skinner discusses the background of John Keel and his involvement in the “Mothman” incident. Fortean lectures in their entirety are available on DVD from INFO. More information on INFO at www.forteans.com
The Passing of Giants
- John A. Keel Has Died
- Forteans Passing
- John Keel on “Portents & Fortents”
- Vallee On Keel
- Hornell native and ‘Mothman Prophecies’ author Keel dies in NYC
- John Keel on Government Secrecy
- More Keel Obits & Tributes
Richard Hall Dies
Richard H. Hall
(December 25, 1930 – July 17, 2009)
“I have just received word that veteran ufologist Richard Hall,
who was both a friend and hero to me, died this morning of the
cancer he had been fighting.
Ufology has lost a giant.”
– Jerry Clark
Ufologist Richard Hall has died – ANOMALY Magazine
Here are the tributes, remembrances and obits from his peers and others in the ufological field:
redstarfilms.blogspot.com/2009/07/dick-hall-passes-away.html Hat tip to posthumanblues
Fortean Stink Scares
- BIG STINK: 34 hospitalized after co-worker sprays perfume!
Perfume sets off events in Fort Worth that put 34 in hospitals
Attack of the Tree Limbs
- Central Park Horror: Falling Tree Branch takes out GOOGLE genius; clings to life…
- Austin Parks and Rec takes action after tree collapse
- Fallen Zilker tree not on endangered list
- City removes limbs to save lives – KXAN.com
- Fallen Barton Springs tree was scheduled to be removed
- Zilker tree limb crushes man
- Tree falls in Zilker Park (video)
- TAI Presents: Dr. Harold Puthoff on Remote Viewing
- Jacques Vallee – The Software of Consciousness – IRVA 2007
- Michael Talbot – The Holographic Universe (Thinking Allowed)
- Paul Smith – Why ESP is Consciousness Only Hope
- Jon Ronson on Coast to Coast AM about his book The Men Who Stare At Goats
- Did we evolve from aquatic apes? Elaine Morgan
- The Infamous Double Slit Experiment
- History Channel Documentary on Chemtrails and Weather Warfare
- Molecular Visualizations of DNA
- ESP, remote viewing actually “complementary cognition”? http://bit.ly/12Hvfz
- European Court Ruling spells an end to water fluoridation http://www.ukcaf.org/european_court_ruling_spells_an_end_to_fluoridatio.html
- Strange New Air Force Facility Energizes Ionosphere, Fans Conspiracy Flames http://www.wired.com/politics/security/magazine/17-08/mf_haarp?currentPage=all
- Strange! Humans Glow in Visible Light http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090722/sc_livescience/strangehumansglowinvisiblelight
- Terence McKenna’s Timewave Zero
- Global Coherence Initiative
- Vice-Premier Paul Hellyer, Canada – Alien Contact
- The Fourth Kind (alien encounter/abduction movie)
- KTLA UFO Cover Up Live Oct 15 1988
- Greg Bishop on PROJECT BETA: Paul Bennewitz and UFOs
- Karla Turner and Casey Turner – Living With Abduction (1993)
- Wilbert Smith on UFOs Project Magnet and his Contacts with the Boys from Topside
- Nightvision Starlight UFOs
- Incredible Second Video Emerges of UFO Releasing Objects Over Mexico
- Lost Creek Flying Saucer as Reported upon by Gray Barker
- Frank Edwards: Project Redlight and the Military Industrial Complex
- Gary McKinnon Update
- Tracy Torme on Fire in the Sky and SciFi TV
- Gibbs Asked About UFOs on C-SPAN
- Dell alien gaming
FLASHBACK: Alien Landings at Schools in the UK
- Children traumatised by ‘War of Worlds’ abduction of teacher
Pupils as young as seven were left traumatised after a school staged a ‘War of the Worlds’ style production during which a teacher was abducted by aliens
- Follow-up: Staged Alien Events and Schools http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0709/followup.php
- FLASHBACK: PsiOp Radio 57 – 080930
- Alien Invasion: A Bizarre Exercise in Story-Writing Skills, or Social Commentary on Misdirection?
- Don’t Trust Anyone, Children
- Edgware pupils tackle alien investigation
- X-files come to classroom
- Police investigate school’s alien invasion.
Sep 18 2008 By David Tilley
- UFO crash lands at Cleethorpes school!
- Kevin Randle on alien abductions and sleep paralysis
- Skylaire Alfvegren on Fortean Ufology: Long Live the Old Guard, Long Live the
- ‘Dean’ Of UFO Studies Devoted Life To Seeking Others Beyond Earth
- FLASHBACK: The Deep Politics of Hollywood: Close Encounters with the Pentagon
- BoA: Medusa’s Ladder by Richelle Hawks re: coveralls as recurring ET contact theme http://tinyurl.com/ml7319
- Russia declassifies cold war UFO sightings
- The case of the captured mini-UFO (1972)
- California UFO cases share common witness testimony – Examiner.com
- Gary McKinnon: Pentagon Hacker’s Worst Nightmare Comes True – Guardian.co.uk
- Robots evolve to deceive one another
- Evolving Robots Learn To Lie To Each Other
Brain Is a Co-Conspirator in a Vicious Stress Loop
- Artificial life will be created ‘within months’ as genome experts claim vital breakthrough
- IBM uses DNA to make next-gen microchips
- DNA Evidence Can Be Fabricated, Scientists Show
- DNA Not The Same In Every Cell Of Body: Major Genetic Differences Between Blood And Tissue Cells Revealed
- Mathematicians create model for fighting off zombies or flu
- Metallica – All Nightmare Long: Video
- Crop Circles 2008 videos
- ‘Government Unapproved’ Announcement?
- Mysterious Pulsating Sewer Blobs
- Giant Squid Invade Calif. Waters / Massive Squid Washes Up on Beach in Quake Aftermath
- Strange Japanese Sea Creatures
- Aesops Fable – or fact? Meet the worlds cleverest bird
- Monkey burglarizes store in Texas
- Flashback: TBRC’s Operation Forest Vigil
- Florida’s Lake Worth Muck Monster
- Mermaid spotted in Israeli watershttp://www.rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?t=24800
- Is a mermaid living under the sea in northern Israel?http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1107034.html
- Mermaid Fever Makes A Splash In Israel
- Bridgewater Bigfoot Tracks
Researcher Focus: Dr. Steven Mizrach
- Super Spectrum Hypothesis – Steve Mizrach
- The Ghost in the Machine: Haitian Voudoun and the Matrix William …by Steve Mizrach
- Mothman Prophecies – The Movie Review by Steven Mizrach
- Voices from Cyberspace? by Steve Mizrach
Wired Spirits, The Anomalist #4 – “The idea of contact with the dead is as old as the hills. But the medium through which the contact has taken place has undergone dramatic technological improvements in the past half century–from tape recorders and radios to telephones and computers. An anthropologist looks at these new wired spirits and finds trouble in cyberspace…” pp 58-71
- “Electromagnetic effects on human behavior,” MindNet Journal, Vol. 1 (No. 82) July 1996 by Steve Mizrach
- Welcome to Spookland: Tricks of the Trade of the CIA — by Steve Mizrach fiu.edu/~mizrachs/spookland.html
- The Occult and Nazism Re-Examined — by Steve Mizrach
- Return to Synthetic Telepathy and the Early Mind Wars
- Austin MUFON Meetings in 2009
- Austin IONS – www.IonsAustin.org
- INACS – www.INACS.org
- Austin MUFON – www.AustinMufon.org
- Jung Society of Austin – www.JungSociety.org
- American Creativity Association – Austin Chapter – AmCreativityAssoc.org/chapter-austin.htm
- Isis Institute of Women’s Studies – www.IsisAustin.org
- HPC – www.HumanPotentialCenter.org / Campus