Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program
UPDATED – April 2022
On February 12, 2019, the DIA answered multiple questions that I had for clarification, but in the process, brought up some new ones. From my communication with them, I determined the following:
– It is now confirmed by the DIA, that the name was, in fact, “Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program.”
- AATIP / Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program
- AAWSAP / Advanced Aerospace Weapons Systems Application Program
- I-Team: Documents prove secret UFO study based in Nevada by George Knapp Updated: May 04, 2018
- What’s up with those Pentagon UFO videos? Sarah Scoles, Wired, 2018
People are still asking: Where’s the UFO content? Keith Basterfield tweeted: “From all the recently released DIA FOIA AAWSAP material, we still see none of the BAASS AAWSAP material listed in the rear of Lacatski’s book, apart for the 37 DIRDs.” Steven Greenstreet noted the UFO material was out of sight, resulting in the program looking unworthy of SAP status and funding: “Senator Reid, who admitted he was never once updated or briefed on AAWSAP’s progress, requested AAWSAP be given SAP status because of all the ‘highly sensitive’ stuff they had discovered. DIA appears to have been confused about WTF Reid was talking about.”
Pentagon Confirmation: AATIP = Advanced Aerospace Weapon System Applications Program – Update by Roger Glassel to his article…
- The AATIP, Targeting Pod Videos and the DOPSR Process – guest post by Roger Glassel, Friday, April 27, 2018
- The “Advanced Aerospace Weapons Systems Application Program” by Paul Dean, Monday, 30 April 2018
Paul Dean and Keith Basterfield
- When did Bigelow Aerospace Advanced Space Studies start and where is the AAWSA contract?
- The US military released a study on warp drives and faster-than-light travel. Here’s what a theoretical physicist thinks of it.
- The BAASS team – some of their roles and some of their names
- I-Team Exclusive: Confidential report analyzes Tic Tac UFO incidents
- The tale of three BAASS field investigations
- These Are Real Pentagon Reports On Warp Drive, Extra Dimensions, Anti-Gravity, And More
- Did the AAWSA program/AATIP really start in 2007?
- Dr. Colm Kelleher and the Advanced Aerospace Weapon System Applications program
- Ex Government Worker Says Pentagon Have ‘Mysterious Metals That Came From UFOs’
- Were Human Guinea Pigs at Skinwalker Ranch Part of the Secret Pentagon UFO Program?
- Pentagon and MoD officials feared UFOs were either ‘demonic’ or sent by God, former investigators reveal
- The Defense Intelligence Agency’s Advanced Aerospace Weapon System Applications program – I find the original call for tenders document
- Statement from a Senior Manager of BAASS
- I-Team: UFO
- Pentagon Confirmation: AATIP = Advanced Aerospace Weapon System Applications Program
- John Greenewald’s Take on AATIP – Updated
- Looking for UFOs With All the Wrong Acronyms
- October 11, 2017 – Louis Elizondo goes public at To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science press teleconference with Tom DeLonge, without naming the Pentagon’s AATIP. (YouTube Archive). Transcript of broadcast: click here.
Other key members of TTSA include:
- Chris Mellon: FMR Deputy Asst Secretary of Defense for Intelligence
- Jim Semivan: FMR Sr. Intelligence Service, CIA’s Directorate of Operations
- Dr. Hal Puthoff: Director of DOD/CIA/DIA Scientific Research Programs
- Steve Justice: FMR Advanced Systems Director for Lockheed Martin’s “Skunk Works”
- Luis Elizondo: FMR Director of Programs to Investigate Unidentified Aerial Threats, USG
- Inside Knowledge About Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Could Lead To World-Changing Technology by Leslie Kean – HuffPost, Oct. 10, 2017
At the meeting, I was given information on background and shown some revelatory documents and data off the record, some of which will eventually be made public. I was especially curious to meet Luis Eiizondo because he ran a program at the DOD involving the study of anomalous aerial threats. Luis had resigned this position literally the day before we met. I was able to verify who he was and what his tasks were at the Pentagon. He received the highest commendatons from his superiors. I learned that important unclassified data and documentation is expected to be released through the Academy’s on-line Community of Interest (COI) in collaboration with the US government, which will be set up soon.
- Fmr. Manager of DOD Aerospace Threat Program: “UFOs are Real” by Leslie Kean – HuffPost, Oct. 11, 2017
As an investgative reporter with a long standing interest in this subject, who has worked with a few Academy team members in the past, I was shown some of this data at a meeting with them on Oct 4.
Present for that four hour meeting was Luis Eiizondo, who ran an important program at the DOD. Elizondo is a senior career intelligence officer whose experience includes working with the U.S. Army, the Dept of Defense, the National Counterintelligence Executive, and the Director of National Intelligence. He served as the Director for the National Programs Special Management Staff in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. He is also the former Director of Programs to investigate Unidentified Aerial Threats for the Office of the Secretary of Defense. . . .
I was told that important unclassified data and documentation are expected to be released through the Academy’s on-line Community of Interest (COI) in collaboration with the US government, which will be set up soon. . . .
He stated that he ran “a sensitive aerospace threat identification program focusing on unidentified aerial technologies.” His job at TTS/AAS will be “to work as a liaison and interlocutor in the collection of this information for the Science division, allowing us to collect facts for analysis.” How will this be done? One way is through the COI, which will “provide a platform for the detection and triangulation of phenomena events in real time, and allows two-way communication between the public and our team regarding this information.” . . .
It is very important to understand that Lue does not speak for the DOD, since he is no longer employed there; he speaks independently as part of the TTS Academy.
- Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program – NYTimes.com, Dec. 16, 2017 by Helene Cooper, Ralph Blumenthal and Leslie Kean
- 2 Navy Airmen and an Object That ‘Accelerated Like Nothing I’ve Ever Seen’ – NYTimes.com, Dec. 16, 2017 by Helene Cooper, Leslie Kean and Ralph Blumenthal
David Fravor … is a former Navy pilot who says he was “pretty weirded out” by an unexplained episode over the Pacific. His story has captured the attention of a Pentagon program investigating U.F.O.s.
- On the Trail of a Secret Pentagon U.F.O. Program – The New York Times, Dec. 18, 2017 by Ralph Blumenthal
“Helene met with a Pentagon spokesperson on Dec. 8 for a response to the information we had gathered. The answer came swiftly. There had been a program to investigate U.F.O.s, but it ended in 2012 after five years, the Defense Department insisted.
Our reporting suggested it continues, largely unfunded, to the present. And that’s what we wrote.”
- Flying Saucers and Other Fairy Tales (Op-Ed Christmas Book Review of Jacques Vallée’s Passport to Magonia) [alien-encounters-christmas-ufo.html] by Ross Douthat, NYTimes.com, Dec. 23, 2017
Other MSM Coverage on Breaking of Story …
- The Pentagon’s Secret Search for UFOs – Politico, Dec. 16, 2017 by Bryan Bender
- Pentagon’s UFO program revealed – NYPost.com By Laura Italiano and Michael Hechtman December 16, 2017
- Pentagon admits running secret UFO investigation for five years – The Guardian · Reuters, Dec. 17, 2017, by Haroon Siddique
Last year, John Podesta, chair of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, declared that he had convinced her to explore declassifying any government documents related to UFOs should she win the election. . . .
Responding to the revelations about its activities, the Pentagon spokeswoman Laura Ochoas told Reuters: “The Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program ended in the 2012 timeframe. It was determined that there were other, higher priority issues that merited funding and it was in the best interest of the DoD to make a change.”
She added: “The DoD takes seriously all threats and potential threats to our people, our assets, and our mission and takes action whenever credible information is developed.”
- Tom DeLonge’s UFO Research Project Seems Increasingly Legit – Vice.com, Dec. 17, 2017 by Alex Robert Ross
- Pentagon Secret UFO Sightings: The Strangest Discoveries in Search for Aliens – Newsweek.com, Dec. 17, 2017 by Anthony Cuthbertson
- Navy pilot recalls encounter with UFO: ‘I think it was not from this world’ ABC News, Dec. 18, 2017, By Kelly McCarthy (featuring Retired Commander David Fravor)
- The aliens are coming, and no one cares – Washington Post, By Molly Roberts, December 19, 2017
“Mainstream” UFO Journalistic Coverage: George Knapp Knew Since 2007… ?
- I-Team Exclusive: Sen. Reid discusses UFO study – LasVegasNow.com by George Knapp, Dec 19, 2017
- I-Team: UFO study focused on U.S. military encounters– LasVegasNow.com by George Knapp, Dec 20, 2017
I-Team: Pentagon UFO study catches attention of Congress – LasVegasNow.com by George Knapp, Dec 21, 2017
UFO Community Coverage
- UFO Coverup Ends: What does this Mean for the Close Encounter Witness? Whitley Strieber, UnkownCountry.com, December 16, 2017
- Year End Extravaganza: 12 Guests on Afterlife, the New Disclosure Process and Much More! Dreamland at UnknownCountry.com, Dec. 22, 2017, Host Whitley Strieber featuring guests Gary Schwartz, Dean Radin, Marla Frees, William Henry, Dr. Jeff Kripal, Dr. Diana Walsh Pasulka, Dr. Garry Nolan, Peter Levenda, Ralph Blumenthal, Leslie Kean, Grant Cameron, and Linda Moulton Howe on DreamLand podcast (MP3) & YouTube (Parts One / Two),
- The day the Earth didn’t stand still – Sarasota Herald-Tribune / DeVoid blog, December 18, 2017 by Billy Cox
- DeLonge Overload – And a Secret Federal UFO Investigations Program! – Bad UFOs, by Robert Sheaffer, Dec. 18, 2017
- About That U.S. Government UFO Program… – Mysterious Universe by Nick Redfern, December 19, 2017
- “Satanic UFOs” and that U.S. Government UFO Study – Mysterious Universe by Nick Redfern, December 24, 2017
- UFO-Pentagon Story Reflects Fundamental Problems – The UFO Trail, by Jack Brewer, Dec. 20, 2017
- PsiOp-Radio 203 – Dec. 20, 2017 (MP3) with SMiles Lewis and Mack White
- To The Stars Academy of Arts & Science, Tom DeLonge, and the Secret DoD UFO Research Program by John Greenewald, Jr. – TheBlackVault.com
- New Key Evidence in DeLonge Pentagon UFO Disclosure Affair – WhiteHouseUFO (YouTube Channel) by Grant Cameron, Dec. 21, 2017
- FLASHBACK: Update! – More Confirmation of Bigelow Aerospace Involvement In The Lake Erie Mass UFO Sightings! January 27, 2015 by Michael Lee Hill, Wes Penre, and various other sources
- The Pentagon and UFOs: Assessing the Revelations – January 1, 2018, Richard Dolan
- NYT: GIMBAL Video of U.S. Navy Jet Encounter with Unknown Object Discussion in ‘UFOs, Aliens, Monsters, and the Paranormal’ started by Mick West, Dec 16, 2017 at MetaBunk.org
- Errors in Nimitz UFO g-force Analyses – Mick West (Video), Dec. 22, 2017 via MetaBunk
- BREAKING! Pentagon UFO Video DEBUNKED… UFO Elites Still Say, “It’s Aliens” – Ufo Seekers (Video) Dec. 21, 2017
- 2017-12-21 – Interview with John Lear on the Pentagon UFO Study (Video), Dec. 29, 2017
MORE and Ongoing Mainstream Coverage
- Alien Hunter Reveals the Most Disturbing Part of the Pentagon’s UFO Program – Inverse.com by Rae Paoletta, December 18, 2017
- A Secret Pentagon UFO Program Searches For The Unexplained – On Point WBUR / NPR Radio, Dec. 19, 2017 (with Luis Elizondo, Leslie Kean, Cheryl Costa, and Susan Lepselter) MP3-Archive
. . . Susan Lepselter, an anthropology professor at Indiana University Bloomington, pointed out that the times we live in have a lot to do with the fears that inform our thinking about UFOs — from the nuclear era to global warming.
“Our sense of precariousness is very high right now,” Lepselter tells us. “When you think about an alien or UFO, it reminds us we are all citizens of Earth.”
- The Truth About Those ‘Alien Alloys’ in The NY Times UFO Story – LiveScience.com, By Rafi Letzter, December 21, 2017
- “We May Not Be Alone”: Inside the Times’s U.F.O. Report – Vanity Fair, Dec. 22, 2017 by Joe Pompeo
- ‘X-Files’ Creator Reacts to Recent UFO Reports by Charlie Ridgely – December 22, 2017, ComicBook.com
- Fighter Jet UFO Footage: The Real Deal – ATS forums, Feb. 4, 2007
RECALL OF AN EVENT LOG OF A SHIP OF THE US-NAVY FLEET
This is the video here and these are the events happened.
Date 14 November 2004
- Nimitz UFO-Video: Alleged Trace to German Film Production Company Leads to a Mysterious Dead End – Andreas Müller, 30/12/2017
Furthermore a video of the on-board camera and tracing system (ATFLIR) of one of the fighter interceptors involved in the USS-Nimitz UFO-encounter is supposed to show the object and have been available online since 2007.
“So I’ve recovered a number of those artifacts and there were two problems with that that have sort of plagued the research for a long time. … Well it’s about time that science looked at this. Fortunately I’m just getting three of these cases analyzed from France, where people are sending me the actual sample, the actual specimen. Most of that is metal.
The other thing that was very difficult is that beyond chemical analysis, it was very hard to get access to a machine where we could look at the isotopes. Now those machines, at least I have access to at least two different machines, right here in Silicon Valley, because I’m pretty well connected with the high-tech community, including one company that I financed as a venture capitalist. So I have access to their engineers and not only do they have a machine, but they’ve built the machine, so I have access to the people who have actually engineered the instrument and we can begin to look at this. What we’re finding is very preliminary but it’s absolutely fascinating because we’re not finding what we thought we would find. We would find either that the materials were terrestrial, and by the way, when you look at the isotopes, it doesn’t lie because you can look at the ratios of the actual different types of aluminum for example, or magnesium, that is in the sample and you can look at the ratios of the abundance of different isotopes of the same metal, the same element.
So, either it should be terrestrial, which we can find out very quickly, or it could be extraterrestrial, in which case you’d expect that it would vary by a few percent from the standard ratio.
Most of those machines are mass spectrometers and they are often used by geologists, among other people, who look at meteorites. Meteorites are extraterrestrial and they don’t have the same ratio of isotopes that you do if you pick up a piece of iron on earth. So they are used to looking at ratios that are a little bit different, but what we find are ratios that are 100% off.”
|Type||United States governmental study|
|Legal status||Secret program, formally disbanded|
|Purpose||Study of unidentified flying objects|
|$22 million over 5 years|
The Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program (AATIP) was a secret investigatory effort funded by the United States government to study unidentified flying objects, but it was not classified. It was first made public on 16 December 2017. The program began in 2007, with funding of $22 million over the five years until the available appropriations were ended in 2012. The program began in the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency.
Initiated by then U.S. Senator Harry Reid (D-Nevada) to study unexplained aerial phenomena at the urging of Reid’s friend, Nevada businessman and governmental contractor Robert Bigelow,and with support from the late Senators Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) and Daniel Inouye (D-Hawaii), the program began in the Defense Intelligence Agency in 2007 and ended after five years, with a budget of $22 million spread out over five years.
Interviewed in the aftermath of the program’s disclosure, Reid expressed pride in his accomplishment, and was quoted as saying “I think it’s one of the good things I did in my congressional service. I’ve done something that no one has done before.”
The program was headed by an official in U.S. military intelligence named Luis Elizondo, who resigned from an office in the U.S. Pentagon in October 2017 to protest government secrecy and opposition to the investigation, saying in a resignation letter to U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis that the program was not being taken seriously.
Politico published a statement by a former staff member that, “After a while the consensus was we really couldn’t find anything of substance,” …“They produced reams of paperwork. After all of that there was really nothing there that we could find. It all pretty much dissolved from that reason alone—and the interest level was losing steam. We only did it a couple years.”
In contrast, the program’s leader Elizondo, in an appearance on CNN on Tuesday, December 19 2017, stated “We may not be alone.”
Disclosure of the secret program was first noted in the media on December 16, 2017, in simultaneous news stories in Politicoand The New York Times. The story in the Times included doubts expressed by James Oberg, a space writer and UFO debunker, and Sara Seager, a scientific specialist on the atmospheres of extrasolar planets, with Oberg quoted as saying “There are plenty of prosaic events and human perceptual traits that can account for these stories.” However, Oberg also said he welcomed further research.
Although the program was not named specifically, program leader Elizondo was prominently reported on and quoted in The Huffington Post in late October 2017. Several days earlier, Elizondo announced his involvement in the creation of a paranormal entertainment company called To the Stars.
The Washington Post reported on December 16, 2017 that Elizondo was responsible for the public release of footage taken by United States fighter jets that appears to show aerial objects maneuvering in inexplicable ways in the USS Princeton aerial object incident. The newspaper also stated that it had conducted several interviews with Elizondo and former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense for Intelligence Christopher Mellon, who is associated with Elizondo in a private venture named ‘To the Stars Academy for Arts and Sciences.’
- Siese, April (December 16, 2017). “The Pentagon has confirmed its $22M program to investigate UFOs”. Quartz. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Cooper, Helene; Blumenthal, Ralph; Kean, Leslie (December 16, 2017). “Glowing Auras and ‘Black Money’: The Pentagon’s Mysterious U.F.O. Program”. The New York Times. Retrieved December 16, 2017.
- Bender, Bryan (December 16, 2017). “The Pentagon’s Secret Search for UFOs”. Politico. Retrieved December 17,2017.
- Greenwood, Max (December 16, 2017). “Pentagon acknowledges program to investigate UFO encounters: report”. The Hill. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Crawford, Jamie (December 17, 2017). “NY Times: Pentagon study of UFOs revealed”. CNN.
…Robert Bigelow, the billionaire founder of an aerospace company. Bigelow has spoken about his belief in UFOs visiting the United States as well as the existence of aliens.
- Warrick, Joby (December 16, 2017). “Head of Pentagon’s secret ‘UFO’ office sought to make evidence public”. The Washington Post. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Hart, Benjamin (December 16, 2017). “Reports: The Pentagon Spent Millions on UFO Research”. New York magazine. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Reuters Editorial (December 16, 2017). “Does Pentagon still have a UFO program? The answer is a bit mysterious”. Reuters. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Watkins, Eli; Todd, Brian. “Former Pentagon UFO official: ‘We may not be alone'”. CNN. Cable News Network. Retrieved 21 December 2017.
- Kean, Leslie (October 23, 2017). “Fmr. Manager of DOD Aerospace Threat Program: “UFOs are Real””. The Huffington Post. Retrieved December 17, 2017.
- Kean, Leslie (10 October 2017). “Inside Knowledge About Unidentified Aerial Phenomena Could Lead To World-Changing Technology”. Huffington Post. Oath Inc. Retrieved 21 December 2017.