Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 6/22/2016
The Anomaly Archives Weekly Email Newsletter
June 22nd, 2016 – Austin, Texas
The Anomaly Archives was recently contacted by someone acting as executor for the estate of a woman who was once active in Austin’s local UFO community. We were invited to look through the library of the deceased for books that we’d like to add to our collection before the upcoming estate sale was opened to the public. After traveling over forty miles into the hill country I met with the executor at the home of the deceased and began going through the voluminous library. Besides two full boxes of books and a few years worth of MUFON UFO Journal issues, the executor provided us some more personal items including photos chronicling some strange experiences of the deceased as well as one of her UFO-themed paintings (pictured here).
It was obvious that this local UFO enthusiast was a tremendous fan of abductee / researcher Dr. Karla Turner as evidenced by the multiple copies of her books held in the library. Among the gems we came away with were three non-English editions of Karla Turner’s book Taken: Inside the Alien-Human Abduction Agenda. These include a Japanese, Italian, and German editions. The Japanese edition lists Shinichiro Namiki as associated with its publication, where as the German edition lists Linda Moulton Howe as having written the foreword (likely the same as in this recent English digital ebook “reprint” edition). The Italian version has a preface by Gianfranco de Turris who is an Italian journalist, essayist, writer, and scholar of “fantastic” literature in Italy. I’m really hoping to find an English translation of his preface somewhere online.
So, with Dr. Karla Turner so fresh in my mind I’ve selected her second book as our Book-of-the-Week for this installment!
Meanwhile, in this week’s Anomalous Headlines … check out the interesting articles on video of a supposed “Texas ‘Belgium’ Triangle UFO,” as well as the $10,000 reward for reading the infamous Roswell Ramey Memo, a Dallas’ JFK assassination researcher’s successful free-speech challenge, and many more below!
Last but not least – Our Monthly Public Meetings Are Changing! We Need Your Help! Why Not Volunteer? We’re transitioning our monthly public meetings into volunteerism opportunities. I’ll be up at the Anomaly Archives this Saturday afternoon to train new volunteers on various on-going processes as well as upcoming special volunteer projects.
The Anomaly Archives holds Monthly Meetings on the Fourth Saturday of Each Month. Contact SMiles Lewis via email for updates. The meetings are held from 1-3pm at the INACS / Anomaly Archives headquarters located in North West Austin.
INACS / Anomaly Archives (Map)
Institute for Neuroscience and
12593 Research Blvd., Ste. 302
Austin, TX 78759-2214
Check Out Our GivePulse Volunteer Center Page
Until next time… see you at the library!
SMiles Lewis / Founder
Book of the Week…
Inside the Alien-Human Abduction Agenda
by Karla Turner
TAKEN INTO THE FRINGE
RESEARCHER FOCUS: Dr. Karla Turner
by SMiles Lewis
My first exposure to abduction researcher/ experiencer Dr. Karla Turner was on September 26, 1992. She was speaking to an audience of approximately 200 people in Austin, Texas. The mini-conference also featured Ed Conroy and George Wingfield, and was organized by the local Austin MUFON chapter. I have seen very little from abduction researchers that I qualified as being of any significance, so Dr. Turner was a particularly unexpected surprise.
She comes across as very strong willed, a trait she may already have had, but which could have been tempered by her interactions with this phenomena. She admits to not knowing the origin of UFOs or their occupants. She simply reports the data that she gathers and experiences herself (about three hundred cases at that time). Some have been critical of her calling attention to “negative” cases. She admits to reporting on those aspects, but is quick to point out that, a) these reports exist, and other researchers are sweeping them under the rug, and b) there are already a number of sources for cases showing “positive” interactions with supposed benevolent entities. Part of her focus seems to be an attempt to strike a balance. How can we gain an objective perspective if we are not hearing all the data?
This mini-conference coincided with the release of her first book on the subject, Into The Fringe . Shortly after her tall< I bought the book and thoroughly enjoyed it. It details the emergance of the UFO and abduction phenomena into her family’s life and their struggle with the ongoing experiences. It is a very personal account which begins in 1987-1988.
Karla earned her B.A. from California State University, her M.A. from the University of Nottingham in England, and her Ph.D. in Old English Studies from the University of North Texas. She is a skeptic in the best sense of the word, but she does believe that something extraordinary is going on.
Her 1992 Austin speech was less about her own experiences, and more about the overall points of interest that she noticed in her research (300 cases she investigated with the help of Barbara Bartholic and others-Barbara had worked with Jacques Vallee on the mysterious cattle mutilations sometimes associated with UFOs). In her speech Karla made twenty specific points regarding trends noticed in the data. These trends are not specifically found in her book “Fringe,” although they are there thematically. The trends reflect darker sides of hidden memory and sexual encounters, which seem to be power plays to dominate the abductee, rather than simple hybridization studies.
These trends continue to be seen in the eight case studies in her most recent book, Taken – Inside The Alien / Human Abduction Agenda. In the book, and during her speech at the July 1994 Annual International MUFON Symposium in Austin, Texas, she made some very important assertions regarding the UFO and abduction phenomena:
“The abductee also learns from experience that the aliens induce an altered perceptive state in humans during every encounter. Employed for control, it can be used to prevent any undesired responses from the abductee. And the altered state also prevents any objective assessment of the situation by the witness. This means that the witness can only report what was seen, felt, and heard, which is not necessarily a reflection of what actually occurred. By inducing and manipulating altered consciousness in the abductee, the aliens assume full control of the situation and thus exert control over the data reported by the witness.
Abductees report alien-controlled information. This is a fact abduction researchers must face. ….. Until the day we can unmask the alien illusions, however, we can at least study the entire body of reported data, controlled though it may be, trying to learn more about why certain images and events are employed and what they can tell us about the covert directors of these scenarios.”
This statement and her coining of the term Virtual Reality Scenario to describe these altered perceptions are the best recent developments within the abduction research field. They enable us to discuss these experiences as REAL, but with the added potential inherent in describing some encounters as non-physical while there are still other more physical encounters.
Another positive aspect of Taken (in my estimation) is the inclusion of much testimony described as “UFO dreams.” Once again we see the flowing together of dream experiences” with “real” experiences and hypnotically retrieved “memories.” The results are fascinating! Though much of the abductee narratives could be seen as particularly negative, the overwhelming feeling that I came away with after reading the book, and which the abductees themselves seem to have come away with, is a deep sense of ambiguity and indeterminacy. Even if this seems daunting in the search for truth it could just be the ultimate result of our encounters with the unknown. Perhaps we can take some solace in Dr. Turner’s belief that these intelligences are truly “physical, finite and fallible.” If this is so, and they are not some aspect of ourselves or God then we may indeed be able to develop defenses against their intrusions into our reality.
Source: ELFIS 2, Fall 1994 – Researcher Focus: Karla Turner – Taken Into The Fringe
See also, Anomaly Archives’ page on Karla Turner.
- ELFIS 6: Summer 1998 – RESEARCHER Re:VIEWED: Q & A with Karla Turner
- From The (old) Archives: Karla Turner – Anomalous Abductee Experiences – MP3 – RadioMisterioso.com (Greg Bishop & Wes Nations Interview Karla Turner – transcript printed in Excluded Middle magazine issue and its collected anthology Wake Up Down There!)
Here are some headlines of note for this week:
- Is This the TR-3B? New Footage Of Alleged “Triangle UFO” Surfaces (Video) – Micah Hanks, Mysterious Universe
- Fort Itaipu and Olavo Fontes Revisited – Kevin Randle
- Fantastic Bush Quote on UFOs Tracked to Satire Site – Jack Brewer, The UFO Trail
- Kevin Randle’s new Roswell book….yes, Roswell – Rich Reynolds, UFO Conjecture(s)
- UFO researchers seek gov’t ‘truths’ – Jim Bender, Winnipeg Sun
- Ramey Memo and the $10,000 Reward – Kevin Randle
- Comics Legend Jack Kirby Worried That Our Attempts to Contact Aliens Might Attract a ‘Tiger’ – Greg, DailyGrail.com
- The UFO Underground: Breakaway Civilizations and Inner Earth Mysteries – Micah Hanks, Mysterious Universe
- MoD Scientist is latest whistleblower after bizarre ‘encounter with THIS UFO’ – Jon Austin, Express.co.uk
- Small Asteroid Is Earth’s Constant Companion – JPL.NASA.gov
- New paper claims that the EM Drive doesn’t defy Newton’s 3rd law after all – Fiona Macdonald, ScienceAlert.com
- 10 Times Ed & Lorraine Warren Were Exposed as Total Frauds – Christopher Shultz, Ranker.com
- Spooky! Messages from the beyond or just coincidence? Oliver Burkeman, TheGuardian.com
- VIDEO: Estate Sale Reveals Trove of Works by Artist and Psychic Ingo Swann – Blouin Artinfo
- New species of fossil dog identified by ETSU paleontologist, former grad student From East Tennessee State University, WJHL.com
- Werewolf of Defiance – Colin Schneider, Paranormal101
- A Strange Butterfly-Ant Relationship Discovered in Peru – Aaron Pomerantz, EntomologyToday.org
Lost Cities & Ancient Civilizations
- Lost City Shicheng Found Underwater in China – Maria Walker, HobbyEarth.com
- Loren’s Books (2016 Edition) – CryptoZooNews.com
- Mysterious “men in black” sightings reported along Muscatine Co. roadways (Video) – David Nelson, KWQC.com
- Pages of Strange: Comic Book Paranormal Researchers – John E.L. Tenney’s WeirdLectures.com
- Police on possible Orlando friendly fire deaths: “Those killings are all on the suspect” – CBSnews.com
- FBI Tried to Lure Orlando Shooter into a Terror Plot in 2013 – TelesurTV.net
Deep State Parapolitics
- JFK Conspiracy Author Wins a Big One Against City Hall’s Catch-22 Defense – Jim Schutze, DallasObserver.com
- Nightmares of the Future: Escape from the Prison Planet – m1k3y, DailyGrail.com
- FBI says utility pole surveillance cam locations must be kept secret – David Kravets, ArsTechnica.com
- CIA Releases New and Gruesome Details on Its Torture Program – Dror Ladin, Staff Attorney, ACLU National Security Project
- US Navy ‘discussed plans to fit humans with microchips and track their every move’ – Jasper Hamill, TheSun.co.uk
[NOTE: Inclusion of news & event info is purely informational
and does not indicate endorsement.]
Source: Anomaly Archives eNews 6/22/2016